Friday, June 17, 2016

Worship and the Lost Week

 “Bertie,” she said—in part and chattily—“it is young men like you who make the person with the future of the race at heart despair!”
    “What-ho!” I said. 
    “Cursed with too much money, you fritter away in selfish idleness a life which might have been made useful, helpful, and profitable. You do nothing but waste your time on frivolous pleasures. You are simply an anti-social animal, a drone—“ She fixed me with a glittering eye. 
-P.G. Wodehouse, Scoring off Jeeves

“Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”
-Psalm 46:10


I have been surviving the past few days on Pamprin and kid’s chocolate rice crisps cereal. No joke. 

My stomach has felt as stable as a ping pong ball in a free-falling elevator for about 95% of the last four days. SO FUN, YOU GUYS. 

The hot water bottle has been a permanent fixture, a constant companion. My one complaint about the new and very fancy BLUE bottle is that I can’t get it hot enough. I need it to feel like it’s been recently fetched from somewhere deep within the gates of Hades.

I watched the remainder of Half-Price Paradise and Lakefront Bargain Hunt on Netflix. Now if that’s not desperation for distraction, I’m not sure what is. 

As for the rest of my bodily ills, I won’t enlighten you with the details, as you may be trying to drink a lovely cup of coffee or eat a muffin while you read this. Also, my dignity (slip-shod as it may be) won’t allow it. I AM A LADY, DANGIT. 

So it’s been quite the WEEK, let me tell you. I am finally starting to feel more human, but thinking about this week is like looking down after you’ve climbed The Cliffs of Insanity. Or like how you feel after getting off a roller coaster. WOOZY. But ALIVE. Yesterday I managed to stumble out to the balcony for the first time in a few days, and it was wonderful to sit in the sun, feel the breeze, be surrounded by my still-alive flowers, and just be outside. It was so great that I did it again this morning. Just changing location, even by a few feet, can be everything. 

So often, when times like these hit, it’s all we can do to simply hang on, grit our teeth, and pray for a better day tomorrow. And that’s ok. I offered up very simple prayers this week, consisting mostly of “help” and “please.” I also played songs to remind me of God’s love and presence and help, because I need reminders of those things in the middle of trouble. Troubles and sorrows of all kinds threaten to keep our heads down, instead of looking to Jesus in all our circumstances. 

It’s also weeks like this when I’m finally able to come to, in a sense, and be MAJORLY PUT OUT that I was not able to do more, or take steps towards work or health, or be productive. You know, ACTION. Because that’s what my culture values and praises, and totally applauds. Both in and out of the church. And while it’s true that faith without works is dead (James 2:17), there are many kinds of works, aren’t there? God treasures it when we do ANYTHING for Him, even giving a cup of cold water to a child (Matthew 10:42). Also, I’ve been reading in the book of Revelation lately and was reminded that there are creatures that exist to fly around the Throne of God just to worship Him. Just to sing His praise, just to profess the goodness of the Lord. Day and night, they NEVER cease to sing, NEVER cease to give God glory (Revelation 4:6-11). It’s a beautiful and terrifying and mysterious look into God’s presence. 

Whatever else we may think of the book of Revelation*, this is a powerful picture of worship, and it gives me great hope. Because there are days when I wish I could be out, DOING things for God, saving the world, etc. You know, the usual things that my Purpose Driven generation wants to be doing. But God has such a different and gorgeous idea of what “doing” things for Him means, and that changes Every Single Thing. When I’m stuck in my house, pinned to the couch by pain, I can still worship Him. I can still praise Him. Like those creatures who fly around the Throne with wings to cover their hands and feet, I can proclaim the ultimate reality of the holiness and worthiness and goodness and power of God. From my couch. If that’s not transformation, I’m not sure what is. If that’s not redemption of some pretty miserable circumstances, I’m not sure what is. When I can stop focusing at my problems for a moment, and gaze at the beauty of the Lord, my problems don’t disappear, but they are redeemed.

Of course, the skeptics and the pessimists will ask why praise a God who lets me be in mysterious pain, who could change it all with one word, one wave of His hand? Why should I thank Him even though He doesn’t stop my troubles? This is an age-old question, of course. And I of course struggle with my attitude and my own questions constantly. But here is the thing: I know God is with me. I know He has supported me through my whole life. I know He has rescued me from my twisted dark places, and has fully and completely reconciled me to Himself. I know exactly how He has changed me. I know He promised we will all have trouble and suffering, but He also promised He will never leave us or forsake us. I know He is Goodness and Beauty and Peace and Love Himself. I know He is the Creator and Redeemer of this world. And as Revelation reminds us, He is coming soon to finish His redemptive work. And it will be beautiful and perfect and we will all be whole because we will be fully with Him. 

This is why I can praise Him exactly where I’m at, no matter what is happening. He is, like the four living creatures sing, holy and worthy. I am filled with joy at the thought that I too get to praise Him, no matter what I am or am not. Jesus told the Samaritan woman in John 4 that the Father is looking for worshipers, who will worship Him in spirit and truth (John 4:23). Not in activity and busy-ness, not in lists of good deeds accomplished. But in spirit, in truth. In trusting Him, in seeking Him in everything we do. When we know Him, our praise will naturally overflow and magnify the Lord in all His goodness to all the world. In the middle of the mess, the chaos, the broken bits and dashed dreams, He is working. He is Immanuel, God with Us.


*I’ve been reading the most wonderful book on this last book of the New Testament: Joy in Our Weakness, by Marva J. Dawn. I love, love this author. She has a wonderful book on illness called Being Well When We’re Ill, which has changed my perspective on being a Christian with physical sickness. Dawn is a theologian with many degrees AND has a host of chronic illnesses herself—I am so thankful to have read her books. Check her out!

It really is FANCY,  isn't it? For a water bottle, I mean. 


I know you all needed an update on these beauties. 

This is REALITY, and it's all good. 


4 comments:

  1. ...wanting to write something in reply, but sensing the inadequacy of my words to explain what yours made me feel. THANK YOU for sharing this. I am so, so sorry you had such a painful week....the struggle is so real... and I am SO THANKFUL for the reality of God's goodness, and how you are sensing that in the midst of deep struggle and pain. So thankful. Love you.

    (And yes, your water bottle is a lovely hue. And your flowers are looking so happy! And I miss your couch. I can see myself coming over, flopping on top of the pillow and making everything else super-wrinkly... not very helpful.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you for reading! It is always such an honor. Writing it all out makes His goodness so apparent. Love you too!

      I feel like the picture of the water bottle doesn't do it enough justice. hahahha. And wouldn't you know, I've been thinking how it's been too long since you've graced my couch with your presence! And the clothes had been there a while....already super wrinkly. hahahha. As long as they're clean, say I!

      Delete
  2. <3 think of you every day - you are loved and prayed for. Also, if you could see the chaos of my house right now, I think you would laugh. That's my chosen response anyway 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much! Love you muchly.

      Ha! Laughter is probably the best response to most sorts of chaos. At least of the household sort. I say as long as you can find some clean undergarments in the piles, you're golden.

      Delete